Dear Stranger

an extension of the short film "Dear Stranger" and its major thematic element: Fantasy

9.02.2005

Fantasy submitted by Rachel Hart

My latest fantasy is very cliche and it directly follows my recent change of life. About 4 months ago I got a brand new life. After living in New York City for 13 years, living the life as an aspiring filmmaker, my boyfriend and I up and went and had a baby, got married, and bought a house in suburbs, ok, not quite in that order. We made it even more abrupt. Induced adulthood I call it. First we got pregnant, then had the baby, then moved in with the grandmother, then worked on buying the house in the suburbs.

Nevertheless, I now long for a time more untethered, somehow thinking that I was more talented and more productive in that time, but I don't think this is the case. A time when I was more hopeful atleast. So now I long for a younger me. This younger me, she reads like Xena the warrior princess, an Artemis, goddess, the archer, skilled at battle in the woods, but a little bit less grounded – her head in the clouds with time to contemplate the spider web glistening with morning dew, prancing around with leather strap up booties, knee high, all leather and greens - mossy and brown earth tones adorn her. Her/my hair is long and soft, its curly now, but often crinkly and dry, her muscles are sinewy and strong and she can dart from one part of the forrest to the next in an instant, leaping over rocks, quietly, quickly, the animals are my friends. She practically lives off air, eating only occasionally when she'll nibble on nuts and berries like in an Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull song, "let me bring you songs from the woods...let me bring you love from the fields, poppies red, and roses filled with summer rain," eating slowly, savoring every morsel. She can hear every sound, pads of her fingertips rubbing together. We used to prance on fairy hills when I was little. This fantasy is a little fairy, white wicka, a little Celtic, a little medieval. Its kind of a puella – is that the name? The child. The name given to women, dreamy, not quite pinned down here on earth, childlike.

The fantasy character is very much pinned down, but me playing her out in my current existence is very much floating and unpinned. This fantasy does bring me closer to places I want to be - nature, a sensual existence, free spirit, carousing with Ian Anderson in the forrest somewhere. It also brings me closer to feeling like I've lost my sanity. I feel the need to let it go but can't and decide that for a fantasy it is very powerful. Oh, fantasies are so rock n roll. Do I embrace her or let her go? I love Kelly's fantasy because she doesn't fight her person in the least. There is something to learn from this. Ah, I'm signing off in contemplation now.

- Submitted by Rachel Hart

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home